What would be the consequences of getting divorced when you have a property?
Welcome to the Australian Property Investment Podcast. In each episode, we ask a guest expert to share their key insights for aspiring investors to make confident property choices.
In this week’s episode, Siobhan Mullins, a family lawyer and author of ‘Splitting Up Together: The How-To Handbook for an AMICABLE Divorce’ enlightens us about the topic of divorce and how it affects the property that you own.
She talks about the mechanics of getting a divorce, the difference between an amicable divorce and a messy divorce, and the property asset options when going through a separation.
If you’re interested to learn more about some important things someone can consider doing during the process of divorce, then make sure to listen to this episode.
Looking for expert conversations that educate investors like yourself to help you build a quality property portfolio? You’re in the right place. Stay tuned!
00:00 – Intro
02:15 – Siobhan Mullins’ Background Story
03:59 – The Impact of Divorce Spikes on the Property Market
06:42 – The Mechanics of Getting a Divorce
08:14 – Difference between Amicable Divorce and Messy Divorce
10:02 – Property Asset Options When Going Through a Separation
13:18 – Determining the Value of the Property
14:27 – Stamp Duty & Capital Gains Options
18:51 – Siobhan’s Key Takeaways for Divorcing Couples
21:34 – Conclusions
22:37 – Outro
About Our Host:
Aaron-Christie David is the founder of Atelier Wealth and a Mortgage & Finance Association of Australia (MFAA) approved Mortgage Broker. Aaron’s focus is clear – supporting property investors make confident decisions to build their property portfolio. He has been recognised in the MPA Top 100 Broker rankings for the last three years.
With over 10 years in financial services experience, with a career spanning Wizard Home Loans and Commonwealth Bank, Aaron’s decision to become a broker was to help more Australians fearlessly buy investment properties to achieve intergenerational wealth.
Connect with Aaron:
- Visit the website: https://atelierwealth.com.au/
- Follow Aaron on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaronchristiedavid
- Follow Aaron on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaron-christie-david-a7482a21/
- Subscribe to Atelier Wealth’s YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKdm2ssEHel1kyQLAHGvNPQ
Connect with Siobhan:
- Email Siobhan at: email@example.com/
- Visit her website: https://separatetogether.com.au/
- Follow Siobhan on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/siobhan-mullins-amicable-divorce-consultant/
- Grab a copy of Siobhan’s book: https://www.amazon.com.au/Splitting-Up-Together-How-Handbook/dp/0987632604
Thanks for tuning in! Please don’t forget to like, share, and subscribe!